Tags

, , , ,

No process pics, just the finished work.  This was a semi-rush job for SSG Huggie Bear, our company Readiness NCO, who was having his last drill with us prior to being transferred to another unit.

IMG_2752

The angry teddy bear was enhanced from some generic clip art I found.  I used a shaded beveler for the outer edges to make it a little more “fuzzy,” but used the smooth beveler for the interior edges.

IMG_2746

I would do the mouth lines differently next time.  The lines on the top part of his head in particular were not blended well.

IMG_2747

This is obviously inspired by/stolen from the 300th MI crest, but given the near 20 years that Huggie has given that organization, I thought it eminently appropriate.  I free-handed these on paper and then traced them onto the leather.  They’re a good deal larger and the angle is different than the “normal” arrangement; I was going for skull-and-crossbones arrangement.  But, you know.  With a bear.IMG_2750A lot of pig died to bring this liner.  By doing “full page” lining, the front few and last few pages will have just as good a writing surface as the middle ones.  It does make it a pain to get the notebook in and out, of course, but you don’t do that very often.  No bookmark ribbon on this one, but I did put in the retention elastic strap to keep the cover closed.

IMG_2743Exterior, front and back.  Old English initials insure no one will mistake it for their teddy-bear-quill-and-dagger cover. Java brown dye, with another dark brown (I forget which) hi-lite stain; both applied with sponge, and then acrylic resolene for the finish. Black waxed cotton thread saddle-stitched together. Similar to the X-Com cover, I kind of dragged around the surface stain with the finishing layers to give it a weathered look. I think it turned out nicely, especially given the rush.

 

 

Advertisements