Note: I finished this back on 16 December (having started it in late November while in Maryland), but am post-dating the related entry in case I end up making this a small Christmas present for someone. This was one of those for-the-hell-of-it projects (i.e. just like most everything else I do).
This is a basic pocket notebook cover using vegetable tanned leather–the sort I could tool designs into, but in this case I went with the natural grain and Eco-Flo Java Brown dye. This was one of the last things I made using the economy double shoulder I bought a few months ago when I first started tooling leather; you can see some of the “streaks” are actually places where the leather itself has been stressed.
The snap flap is sewn to the back as shown. It’s the natural leather hue, slightly darkened by the Eco-Flo Super Shene and then Fiebing’s Acrylic Resolene finish I used on the entire piece. I also rubbed on a little Fiebing’s Snow Proof Paste to give it every bit of waterproofing I could. (I had just recently acquired these things.)
Interior is pigskin, and it’s all saddle-stitched together with brown waxed thread. I took a picture of the interior, but it’s thoroughly uninteresting even to me, so I left it off. Here are some different angles on the exterior:
This was largely inspired by Ian Atkinson‘s small notebook video, although his is a little more ambitious and much more polished. I would have gone with his elastic band closure method, but I haven’t found a source of the exactly the sort of elastic I’m after.